My reasons why I teach have changed over the years. I started teaching little kids after school at my parents studio. After I graduated, my parents (United States Dance Champions and World Finalists) really needed another full-time instructor at their studio. So, I started working there full time teaching adults competitive and social ballroom and latin. I had a lot of experience with teaching younger kids, but when I started teaching adults – I saw the excitement and fulfillment that dancing brought into their lives.
Now I’ve been teaching adults for about 10 years and my students make the lessons so inspiring. It’s thrilling to see my students progress and see how much joy dancing brings to not only their own life, but their personal relationships too. I know teaching is what I’m meant to do as nothing is more exhilarating to me than seeing my students succeed and feel amazing!
I GOT INTO DANCING BECAUSE I WANTED TO CONNECT WITH OTHER DANCERS. I WANTED TO GO BEYOND JUST THE TECHNICAL ASPECTS TO MOTIVATE AND INSPIRE THEM. SHOW THEM WHAT DANCING CAN DO FOR THEM BEYOND THE DANCE FLOOR AND HELP TO GROW THEIR CONFIDENCE.
WHO DO I WORK WITH?
- I work with absolute beginners who believe they can’t get out on the dance floor
- I work with dancers who are frustrated because they’ve been dancing for a long time but still see major differences between themselves and other dancers
- I work with people who have no idea what they can do with dancing and want to explore dance for fun
- I work with advanced dancers who want to focus on technique so that they can walk out onto the floor and always kill it
Really, I work with anyone who’s passionate about dancing or excited to take it on as a hobby to boost their life!
WHAT TO EXPECT AS A STUDENT OF MINE
Every lesson is aimed at your progression and the process has your comfort in mind. When you come in you can push yourself as little or as much that day. You don’t have to be an advanced dancer (or a dancer at all!) but you do have to be wanting to invest in your dancing and in yourself.
I start with a warm-up to ease your body into the movement and focus your mind. Then we will work on the style of dances that we’ve chosen together. I won’t make you do any dances you aren’t excited about learning – what’s the point?
I am all about immersion, so I will organize events for my students too! This is a chance to meet other dancers, learn about dancing in new settings and to challenge my students further. We might go out dancing, attend a dance show or participate in dance events. There is absolutely no pressure to do this, but it is available to you if you’d like to participate!
A LITTLE BIT OF MY HISTORY
I thought I’d give you some insight into why I teach and am so passionate about helping my clients discover the dancer in them before I get into my qualifications and some of my performance experience.
My name is Caitlin Rose Foster and began dancing when I was only 5 years old. I participated in a lot of dance shows and musicals growing up and have always loved performing, but I often felt frustrated and would often quit. Not because I didn’t love it, but because I didn’t realize what I really want was to understand how to dance. Not just do what my coach told me to do with no explanation.
When I graduated high school, I decided to take my dancing more seriously. I paired up with a professional partner to compete professionally in the ballroom and latin competition scene around the US. Because I had all this background in dancing, I thought I could handle my own partnership. How wrong I was.
I moved to New York to train and compete more, but my partnership suffered because I was too worried about technique and perfection to the point where it affected how I treated myself and my partner. I became too self-sacrificial and started to neglect my health and relationships for my goals. I got to a point where I decided to take a step back in my dancing and teaching to reflect on what is really important to me.
I soon discovered a new way to approach dancing. A way that was much more enjoyable because my relationship with dancing became a more emotionally fulfilling one that felt right for me. One that made it so I was no longer panicking over technique and perfectionism, but I embrace the fun aspects as well as the artistry of movement!
THE SLIGHTLY BORING BITS ABOUT ME
- I have over 15 years of dance and performing experience including competing professionally in ballroom and latin dancing, performing in musicals and stage shows. I am also certified through Dance Vision International Dance Association.
- I have and am always exploring various styles of dance such as International Ballroom and Latin, American Smooth and Rhythm, Salsa, Swing, hip-hop, ballet, jazz, modern and musical theater. I’ve worked with various dance groups and have even coordinated my own ladies latin dance performance team.
- I have worked with dancers of all levels and styles; I love expanding their knowledge of social and competitive partnership dancing and helping them discover their full potential.
- I have have assisted students with more specific short term goals like arm styling, choreography and competition or performance preparation.
Feel free to get in contact with me through my Contact page. If you’re interested in learning more about me you can visit my Dance Lessons page to learn more about what I teach and my method to get you confident in your dancing!